Where Can I Buy SunPass
This guide will cover where to buy SunPass transponders. There are two types of transponders that Florida has: the SunPass PRO (AKA the SunPass Portable) and the SunPass Mini.
Benefits of SunPass:
SunPass customers pay less per toll than those paying with cash, and discounts are available for those who travel frequently through certain tolls. A list of possible discounts is available on the SunPass website. If you are in Florida and you have an EZPass from another state such as the iPass (which is a form of EZPass that Illinois has) you will not get this discount on your toll that you would get in Florida. Meanwhile, SunPass Pro will have the same toll rate in the different states. Having a SunPass also makes getting to your destination faster because the person at a manned toll will know that your SunPass will be pinged so you don’t have to pay them money. People who have SunPass also sometimes get their own lane that has less traffic.
1) Buy SunPass at a retail location or other in-person location | Where Can I Buy A SunPass
Purchasing a SunPass transponder is easy as there are thousands of retail locations throughout Florida. Some of our retailers include CVS, Amscot, Walgreens, Publix, AAA, Sedano’s, and Navarro. SunPass can also be purchased at all Florida’s Turnpike service plazas, Florida’s Turnpike gas stations, SunPass Customer Service Centers, select Florida Welcome Centers, Visitor Centers, Rest Areas, and select County Tax Collector’s Offices. View this website to find what locations are open in what county you are in: https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/whereToPurchaseSunPass.shtml
2) Order Online | Where Can I Buy A SunPass
You can purchase both types of SunPasses online. On the Florida website, you can purchase your SunPass and activate it when you receive it in the mail. Your transponder will be mailed within 5 to 7 business days. Go onto Florida’s website, create an account, purchase it and they will mail it to you. You don’t need to be a Florida resident to buy SunPass. Both types of SunPass require a minimum opening balance of $10 for a personal SunPass account.
The first part of my order online guide is going to cover how to buy SunPass online if you not already have an account. Scroll down a little bit in this section to find my guide for how to buy SunPass transponders if you do already have an account.
Step 1: Go here. You’ll now be at the below picture. Click “Sign Up Now!”
Step 2: Choose “Online” and click “Submit”
Step 3: Click “No” to “Do you have a SunPass account”
Step 4: Select which account type you want. Most people will select the normal Sunpass Account which is the first one.
3) Buy SunPass By Phone
Call the SunPass Customer Service Center at 1-888-TOLL-FLA (1-888-865-5352) to purchase a SunPass transponder. Business hours are Monday – Friday, 7AM-7PM and Saturdays 8:30-5pm. They will mail you a transponder and it will be delivered to you within 5 to 7 business days. The SunPass customer service representatives can also set up an account for you on the sunpass.com website.
The SunPass customer service has Spanish-speaking representatives. You can press 2 to speak to a Spanish-speaking representative. If you want to speak to an English-speaking representative don’t press anything. Then you want to Press 7 and then press 1 to open an account. Even if you don’t necessarily want to open an account, now you will be talking to a SunPass customer service representative who can answer any questions you have.
What type of SunPass transponder should I get?
The SunPass Mini and Pro both work in trucks. However, there are some vehicles that need a Bumper Mount Transponder and if you go to https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/windshieldInstallation.shtml you will see the vehicles that require a Bumper Mount Transponder here.
*The above link at https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/windshieldInstallation.shtml also tells you the vehicles that might have different installation instructions of the SunPass such as different areas where you should place the transponder on your windshield.
SunPass Mini VS SunPass pro
Why get SunPass Pro:
- The SunPass pro is accepted in a ton more states (and all of the EZ Pass states).
- You can move it from vehicle to vehicle (cars, rentals, and more). All you have to do is log into your account on the SunPass website, add the vehicle that you want to go through the toll with the transponder, and now that vehicle will use the transponder to pay for the toll! SunPass mini can’t be moved from vehicle to vehicle
- It goes on with suction cups. The SunPass PRO transponder costs $14.95 plus tax
- Can be used in motorcycles while mini can’t be used in motorcycles
- Has a two year warranty while the mini does not
Here’s what a SunPass pro looks like:
- Can only be put on one vehicle. If you purchase and activate a SunPass Mini for use in your car and then remove it, the SunPass Mini will no longer function and cannot be reattached to another vehicle’s windshield. SunPass Mini works on toll roads and most bridges in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina. You can also use SunPass Mini to pay for parking at most of Florida’s major airports, Port Canaveral, and the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami.
- The SunPass Mini transponder costs $4.99 plus tax.
See the below pics for more differences and similarities:
Here’s what the SunPass mini looks like: